15 January 2015

[Review] Hopeless - Colleen Hoover





Title: Hopeless
Author: Colleen Hoover
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Series: Hopeless #1

Publisher | Amazon | Goodreads
Sky, a senior in high school, meets Dean Holder, a guy with a promiscuous reputation that rivals her own. From their very first encounter, he terrifies and captivates her. Something about him sparks memories of her deeply troubled past, a time she’s tried so hard to bury. Though Sky is determined to stay far away from him, his unwavering pursuit and enigmatic smile break down her defenses and the intensity of the bond between them grows. But the mysterious Holder has been keeping secrets of his own, and once they are revealed, Sky is changed forever and her ability to trust may be a casualty of the truth. 

Only by courageously facing the stark revelations can Sky and Holder hope to heal their emotional scars and find a way to live and love without boundaries. Hopeless is a novel that will leave you breathless, entranced, and remembering your own first love. [Simon & Schuster]

For whatever reason I was in a New Adult mood. I had just finished reading More Than This and yet I wanted too read another New Adult book. I was expecting a nice romance, but not a lot much more. So you can be mistaken.

But at first it was exactly what I was expecting. Okay, no, that's not true. It was somehow worse. 
Holder was irritating me a lot. I couldn't understand his behaviour. It was just odd. Sometimes too exaggerated and then suddenly he got angry or jealous without any obvious reason. Every now and then he could be really cute or funny. Later on, however, Holder changes – or precisely you can understand him better - and soon he turns into one of those characters you just have to love!Nonetheless I really liked Sky from the beginning. She is a likeable and realistic character without any strange behaviour.
I'd divide this book in two parts: The first part is not so good. It's just about a – more or less – unhealthy relationship. And it's also quite often very cheesy – even so cheesy that I'd get annoyed by it and I'm normally the last person who spots anything cheesy. And I don't get this stupid “I don't kiss you, but we do everything else” rule. Seriously? That's the second time I've spotted it in a book and it slowly getting on my nerves. Why? Why is this suddenly happening constantly? Or is this just me who reads the “wrong” books? 
But then the second part: wow! Just wow! It was so amazing! Everything changes abruptly. The story takes a completely different direction, it surprises you again and again. [That was also the point, where I stared liking Holder.]
Before I was struggling through the books at some points. I just couldn’t get how everyone is so enthusiastic about it – until this point. Now I knew it! Guys, let me tell you this: Even when you don't like the beginning, you will love the ending!

All in all Hopeless is a really good book with a bad beginning – at least in my opinion. I couldn’t stand holder for the first 50%, but then, when I finally started to understand him, I slowly fell in love with him. The story has got a pretty surprising turning point in the middle and then it became really amazing! The at first sight a bit unhealthy relationship is now everything else than unhealthy and everything becomes suddenly really exciting. You cannot stop reading anymore.



No comments:

Post a Comment