04 May 2015

Review: Dreams of Gods and Monsters - Laini Taylor


http://cruwsible.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/dreams-of-gods-and-monsters-book-review-by-charlotte-tai.jpg 
Title: Dreams of Gods and Monsters
Author: Laini Taylor
Publisher: Little Brown
Series: Daughter of Smoke and Bone #3











Two worlds are poised on the brink of a vicious war. By way of a staggering deception, Karou has taken control of the chimaera's rebellion and is intent on steering its course away from dead-end vengeance. The future rests on her.

When the brutal angel emperor brings his army to the human world, Karou and Akiva are finally reunited--not in love, but in tentative alliance against their common enemy. It is a twisted version of their long-ago dream, and they begin to hope that it might forge a way forward for their people. And, perhaps, for themselves.

I know it’s been a looooong while since I last posted a review. School just got crazy, but I really wanna get back into my blogging schedule, not only for my German blog, but also for this English one. So today I’ll post a short review containing my thoughts about Dreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor.


I now, a lot of people worship this trilogy, but I always thought I’m more of a “dislike”. I didn’t hate the first book, I didn’t really enjoy it either. This was because of the immature protagonist and the story line. I thought I’d get a epic fantasy story, but it was more of a teenage love story with magical elements. However, the last 100 pages really intrigued me, so I purchased book two and three in the series and read them. Surprisingly, I completely fall in love with them.


Firstly, the world building got a whole lot better! In the first book, Prague was by no means a lovely setting, but it wasn’t exactly what I wanted as a setting for a fantasy novel. However, in book two and three the story takes place in a incredible fantastic world! There are so many things to discover, so many things you have to unravel and to get. I loved how Laini Taylor built a new world, which seems infinite and magical. The story itself gets a lot more mature and darker, which made me really happy, because this is what fantasy should be like. The content got more serious and important, the character seemed deeper. That made the story so great and loveable. 


Secondly, I loved that we got more POVs which were added to the original story. I wasn’t the biggest fan of Karou and Akiva, so it was nice to habe other characters with new stories to follow. I really fell in love with Ziri and Liraz, who are my favorite characters so far. Zuze and Mik were super adorable too and I even got to like Karou and Akiva more and more during the two books. And after I finished the last page of the trilogy, I realized how much I loved them all. I found myself caring so much about them and that was really surprising, but I showed how much I liked this trilogy in the end.


All in all I’m surprisingly sad that this series is over. It’s so bad that there are no more books about Eretz and the misbegotten and the angels and the chimaeras. But I’ll definitely pick up more Laini Taylor books! Her style of writing is incredible; it feels like the words on the paper aren’t black, but colorful like a rainbow. She creates picture between the lines and comes up with beautiful sentences and quotes, which will get into your mind and never leave. A lot of them contain wisdom and magic, words only real writers can write. 


In the end of the day, it turned out that I’m wrong. I’m not a enemy of this trilogy, not at all, but a person who finally fell in love, not only with Laini Taylors pretty words, but with her whole book. With the world she built, the characters she brought to life. I have so much love for this trilogy and can only recommend picking it up. 

5.jpg wird angezeigt.




1 comment:

  1. Those POVs... Sadly that was a real killer for me. First book, three POVs or so? Second book 20+ WTF?! That's just crazy and it was really hard to follow. Normally I love books with a lot of POVs, but they have to make sense. Unfortunately I could'nt connect with book 3 at all and I can't say that I love this series that much anymore.

    ReplyDelete